What We Believe
We are a faith community born of the progressive elements of western religions, but draw our inspirations from the whole world of sacred teachings. We have always affirmed the freedom of religious belief and asserted that the individual person is the final authority in matters of belief. We have placed freedom and reason and tolerance at the center of the spiritual life, and encourage all of our members to engage with their whole self to discover a deeper sense of meaning and purpose in their lives.
We are non-dogmatic and non-creedal and believe that truth is a dynamic and organic process. We seek to grow in wisdom together as we explore the significant events of our lives, drawing from the arts, music and literature, science and personal experience to find ways of living more abundant lives.
We believe that we can bring about a better world through our actions, and that we are all called to pursue the causes of peace and justice and equality. Individually and together we can be agents of change to heal what is often a broken world, as well as to learn how to live responsible and sustainable lives on our precious earth.
We believe that there is a sacred and holy element to life and that our task is to experience and care for what is holy, from our relationships with each other to our relationship with the earth. Above all, we believe that our lives have meaning and purpose, and that we can live lives worthy of our highest ideals.
Our Mission: Neighborhood Unitarian Universalist Church creates and grows an inclusive religious community connected by love, spirit, and service.
Together, we, of all ages and identities:
- Support one another through life’s changes and transitions.
- Create safe space for people to be their authentic selves.
- Nurture community with one another, our neighborhood, and the world at large.
- Seek out and embrace diversity.
- Connect to the transcendent through worship and other spiritual practices.
- Recognize the importance of beauty in our lives and the world among us.
- Challenge our minds and our hearts to grow.
- Understand justice in its many forms and take action that leads to systemic change.
- Commit to service toward a compassionate, sustainable, and peaceful world.
- Ensure the continuity of our church through generosity and good stewardship.
- Embrace our Unitarian Universalist identity and Principles.